In order to keep your gums healthy you need to remove the daily build up of plaque from all the surfaces of your teeth by –
- Brushing your teeth twice a day, for two minutes each time. Ask your dentist which type of tooth brush is best for you, as many of us use brushes that are too hard or too large.
- Floss your teeth, as a toothbrush doesn’t always reach into the gaps in between the teeth or below the gum line.
- Do not brush your teeth too hard as this can damage your gums, ask your dentist or hygienist to show you the correct technique
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
Healthy gums are –
- Pink in colour
- No areas of redness or inflammation
- No bleeding when brushing or flossing
- No tenderness or discomfort